[Scummvm-devel] MT-32 emulation

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Mon Jul 12 16:46:03 CEST 2004

Jamieson Christian writes:
 > Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
 >
 > > I have working (with minor bugs) MT-32 emulator for ScummVM. It is
 > > based on Linux ALSA driver.
 > What's this about ALSA? Does your version work ONLY with Linux?
There are three versions of the emulator. Original author's Win32
driver, abandoned; modified dosbox, by same author, which is
maintained; and Linux ALSA port. Neither works here with FreeBSD (of
course), but since original versions were too MSVC-specific, I got
emulator core from that Linux port. In current state of my code there
is just another midi driver, `mt32' which outputs sound in a manner of
our adlib code, i.e. to whatever backend supports.

 > final output being a waveform generated on a premix_proc call.
Exactly, that's what I've done.

 > We do not, to my knowledge, use any sort of ROM for FM-TOWNS.
Well, it is kanji font ROM, which eventually could go away if somebody
will write code to use some free font. See code starting at line 899
in scumm/scumm.cpp

 > ROM... We cannot distribute it with ScummVM.
Nobody even tried to say that. Of course not, like we do not
distribute any non-free games.

 > (And where would this file be located? The main program directory?
 > The "." directory? Are they always the same?)
Right now I use target-specific `extrapath' parameter, though I
personally thinking about adding system-wide extrapath as well.

 > We would not, of course, want to support the proliferation of an
 > illegally obtained ROM.
Nothing changes in this aspect as we already got used to handle
multitude of warez requests in different shapes and tastes.

Eugene