[Scummvm-devel] Out of This World / Another World?

Torbjorn.E.Andersson at tietoenator.com Torbjorn.E.Andersson at tietoenator.com
Thu May 6 00:18:03 CEST 2004

Travis Howell [kirben at optusnet.com.au] wrote:

> The main problem seems to be the non-adventure type of this game engine.

Actually, my main concern is that ScummVM currently doesn't have any
infrastructure for handling polygon-based games. Perhaps this is easy to
add but I was wondering if it belongs in ScummVM, or if it's better suited
for, say, residual.

Whether or not Out of This World is an adventure game or not is an
interesting academic question that I'm sure we could spend many weeks
discussing. However, there's no question in my mind that it's a *different*
kind of adventure than the ones we are currently supporting.

I agree with the points that have been made that Out of This World is a very
nice game, and that it's a quite small game engine. But the same thing could
be said about the Infocom text adventures and their "Z machine", and I don't
see anyone arguing that we should support those. Not outside of April 1, at
least.

But as I said, I don't care much either way. Technical considerations can be
resolved, I see nothing inherently wrong with mixing genres (that's for our
esteemed project leaders to decide, I guess), and "bloat" does not concern
me since we already have ways of dealing with that. My reaction was one of
surprise, not, I hope, hysteria.

The most compelling argument I've seen so far is that cyx says he's planning
on maintaining raw separately from ScummVM. That, to my mind, is an awkward
situation. Do we really want to assimilate projects while they are still
being actively maintained?

Torbjörn

--
TietoEnator Resource Management AB