[Scummvm-devel] Devs: Freenode Cloaks

James 'Ender' Brown ender at scummvm.org
Mon Sep 6 06:50:04 CEST 2004

This is an IRC cloak, the intent of which to protect your IP from casual
inspection on IRC by hiding it behind a faked domain name that only the
IRC server knows about.

Eg, instead of seeing '203.59.123.456' or 'blahblah.isp.com', a user
casually looking at your IRC details will see 'porter.scummvm'.

However since there are so many other ways to determine the address
under the cloak - many of which are easily used by bots - they are
really functionally useless and more for vanity.

 - Ender