[Scummvm-devel] DiscWorld license

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Apr 28 02:05:32 CEST 2005

Hi Ender, hi all,

I just read this on <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Discworld>:

"In short, we have all the approval needed to move forward with
supporting the game and making Discworld freeware. However Discworld is
NOT freeware at the moment. It may be in the future, assuming all goes
according to plan.
We may not be able to wing a DFSG/OSI compatible license on this one,
although I'll surely try."

That last sentence causes me big pains. Essentially, if that is the
case, getting the DW source is completely useless for us. We wouldn't
be able to host such a non-OSI DW source as part of ScummVM, probably
not even on SF.net -- we'd have to setup and external source
repository. Furthermore, we (and nobody else) couldn't legally
distribute ScummVM binaries with DW linked in, unless we chose to
relicense ScummVM (and offer it under an additional, non-GPL-license; a
very problematic step, which would require us to contact every past
contributor). A small hope in that regard would be to enable plugin
based building by default, but that opens a whole can of other
problems, and isn't supported on all platforms anyway.

So, to sum it up, if we don't get a DFSG/OSI compatible license on this
one, we have a real problem. To  me personally, it would render the
whole thing totally useless, as I have no interest in being involved in
such a project at all.

Regards,