[Scummvm-devel] Disabling sound

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Aug 15 16:44:28 CEST 2005

Am 16.08.2005 um 00:51 schrieb David Given:

> I have an interesting issue on Linux when using timidity and the
> ALSA music
> driver.
>
> The problem is that I have a single-open sound card. This means
> that only one
> process can have /dev/dsp open at a time. This means that, since
> scummvm
> always opens /dev/dsp first, timidity is unable to get at the sound
> device.
>
> My current workaround is to: (a) start timidity; (b) play something
> with
> pmidi, which forced timidity to open /dev/dsp; (c) start scummvm,
> which
> connects to timidity but fails to open /dev/dsp; (d) kill pmidi and
> hope that
> the music stops. This sucks.
>
> Of course, the correct solution is to buy a multi-open sound card,
> but in the
> mean time I'd just like to disable scummvm's dsp sound --- but I
> can't find
> an option. Is this actually possible?
Nope, and in fact, bad things can happen when no digital sound output
is available. We try to cope with that in some places, but not all of
the code does. You can get all sorts of odd quirks, errors, maybe
even crashes, if digital sound output is disabled (for example, sound
output buffers could overrun, the iMuseDigital code used to do that,
I think we fixed that).

Bye,