[Scummvm-devel] I would like to volunteer to work on writing the manual

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Dec 18 02:58:05 CET 2005

Am 18.12.2005 um 05:00 schrieb Marticus:

> Greetings, as a long time follower of the ScummVM project, I have
> decided I should give a bit more back than the occasional bug report.
>
> As I am not much of a coder, I had a look around to see what other
> things are needed on the project, and I was told that documentation
> work is also required. Hence, herewith find my application to work
> on the manual.

That would be great!

> I had a quick look at the manual.html / .xml files in scummvm/doc/
> docbook, and believe I will be able to improve on what had already
> been started. If you agree I should go ahead, I would like to know
> if there is further information assembled regarding information and
> requirements; and if there are any good docbook editors, or is it
> all written longhand in a text editor.

So far I wrote it "by hand", but that certainly isn't the best way to
go. There are some (free and commercial) DocBook editors out there. I
can't really recommend one since I didn't use any of 'em so far, but
google for "docbook editor" and you'll get plenty hits.

Also: I think it would be possible to write the docs in another
format initially (e.g. HTML, OpenOffice, RTF, LaTeX). I would always
be able to convert them to DocBook later. Please note that I am not
*eager* to convert a manual to DocBook, but it's far easier for me to
do than to write the docs from scratch :-). And we could even decide
to drop DocBook altogether in favor of something different (provided
there is a good alternative); I am not married to that format :-)