[Scummvm-devel] User control on ScummVM forums

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 31 14:34:04 CET 2005

From: "Max Horn" <max at quendi.de>
> Banning users is an extreme measure, and solves little. It's really
> simple to evade a ban. If we need a dozen people with ban rights to  keep
> ahead of the accounts which need to be banned, then we should  consider
> closing the forum down partially. I.e. no automatic account  approval
> anymore -- make an admin review and approve every new account.

We should have more moderators able to ban users on the forums, so we can
act quickly when user(s) are causing major problems. Some people can cause
trouble for fun, some get angry our disputes and spam to forums can easily
get out of hand, if not controlled.
If no one is around who can ban users, we could end up in a situation of a
flood of messages on forums, which moderators can only delete in the
meantime.
How exactly will an admin review of new accounts help? it would just cause a
delay for new accounts and annoy users wanting to post reponses. It is easy
to get a free email address and falsify the account details.

> Actually, I just checked, and I do *not* see new "flames" from
> dogmanscreek. Only the already locked down threads we saw earlier. He
> posted nothing since then.

Because I deleted the posts and topics as soon as they were mentioned on our
IRC channel. Doesn't the message board keep a log of changes to posts and
topics? anyway if you really want to see, I posted a sample I had left in my
cache at http://members.optusnet.com.au/scummvm/misc/sample.png

> There is a chance that he'll just shut up and wander off if ignore.  If
> OTOH we ban him now, this may very well lead to a tag-game style
> "I-flame-you-ban-let's-see-who's-quicker" game...

Yes, or he could just keep posting more flames every so often, until he is
banned.