[Scummvm-devel] Headers: Copyright and description.

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Jan 9 08:15:02 CET 2005

Am 05.01.2005 um 03:44 schrieb Joost Peters:

> Op 4-jan-05 om 23:18 heeft Jonathan Gray het volgende geschreven:
>
>>> Per the TODO item, I've been in contact with Tony Warriner from
>>> Revolution about the Copyright headers for the sword2 code -for which
>>> we use parts of the original code verbatim in our implementation-,
>>> and
>>> the following was agreed on:
>>
>> Well we started with the original code we didn't cherry pick bits.
>
> I know. Maybe it was bad phrasing on my part. I meant there are still
> original bits left that aren't rewritten.
>
>> Isn't the following enough:
>>
>> Copyright (C) 1994-1998 Revolution Software Ltd.
>> Copyright (C) 2003-2005 The ScummVM project
>
> Yeah, that would suffice too, I was told they're not too concerned
> about it.

OK, cool, then we can change that soon, too.

Now, that leaves one other thing to discuss: we currently start
(almost?) all our legal headers with this bit:

/* ScummVM - Scumm Interpreter
  * Copyright (C) 2004-2005 The ScummVM project
  * ...

Now, as somebody else pointed out, the "Scumm Interpreter" bit is a bit
misleading. We could change the header to look like this (please,
suggest better descriptions if you can think of any :-):

/* ScummVM - An interpreter for several classic graphical adventure
games
  * Copyright (C) 2004-2005 The ScummVM project
  * ...

or even like this, indicating for each file from which part it comes
(again, feel free to fill in better text, it's just an example):

/* ScummVM - An interpreter for several classic graphical adventure
games
  * Module 'scumm' - A ScummVM engine that allows running LucasArts
adventures
  * Copyright (C) 2004-2005 The ScummVM project
  * ...

/* ScummVM - An interpreter for several classic graphical adventure
games
  * Module 'sound' - Sound related code shared by all of ScummVM
  * Copyright (C) 2004-2005 The ScummVM project
  * ...

Comments?

Bye,