[Scummvm-devel] 0.7.1 plans

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Mar 13 06:07:40 CET 2005

Yo folks,

I think a 0.7.1 release is overdue by now. We have accumulated quite
some changes on the 0.7.x branch which would be nice for our users; on
the other hand, HEAD has (once again :-) undergone major changes and
additions, so we shouldn't release that quite yet (and, did I mention,
we *still* don't have decent docs... <sigh>).

So, I'd like to propose a 0.7.1 release in about two weeks from now
(I'm not here next week, BTW, more precisely, between the 17th and 23rd
or so I'll be away).

Everybody, please check if you have things worth backporting to the
0.7.x branch. Not just engine fixes, also backend fixes, should be
backported.

Some rules:
* Usually, we only want to backport *fixes* for bugs; and *not* new
features. If you want to make an exception of that rule, think hard
about why you must backport that feature (I might ask you, so be
prepared to answer it ;-); and what the impact on users will be (is
your change safe? is it stable?)

* Porters may be a bit more generous with this; essentially, I trust
you guys to know what's best for your port, but still, please try to
keep it to a sensible level (whatever that means... ahem).

* Please please please, everybody, document your changes in the NEWS
document. No need to be overly verbose, of course, but people should
know which problems where corrected etc.

Besides the backporting stuff, of course, we also rely on our porters
and packagers to be able to provide us with 0.7.1 packages. I'll try to
get the 0.7.1 sources ready on the 24th/25th, and do the release on the
26th/27th; we'll see if that works out...