[Scummvm-devel] New GUI thoughts in the Wiki

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Sat Nov 19 04:37:01 CET 2005

Ok, the first thing that hits me on the New GUI page is this:

#  Using pixmaps has the drawback of taking more memory, and possibly
   more CPU power. So as a fallback, it would be good if we could
   still work w/o the pixmaps (possibly reverting to the current UI).

Well yes, if we need to stick with the current pixel-based CPU
rendering scheme.

However, if the GUI is to be remade anyway, why not use a display list
approach instead, and allow the backend to use hardware rendering if
available?  That way I could put all the pixmaps in texture memory,
meaning no loss of regular memory, and it would be fast too.

Of course, a software renderer would still have to be provided for
pixel-based backends, but it would sit between the GUI and the
platform code, just rasterizing the display lists.

  // Marcus