[Scummvm-devel] Mixed case filenames

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Sun Oct 16 09:20:45 CEST 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:05:33 +1000
Jonathan Gray <jsg at goblin.cx> wrote:

> > So we have 2 options here. Either we add enormous amount of all
> > various file naming cases, or open all specified default
> > directories as well as extrapaths, read their content and match
> > with scumm_stricmp().
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Is there any strong reason to not insist the user fixes this
> themselves?
Heh, it annoys even me, who in fond with these games :). I can write
something like

  for i in *;do mv $i `echo $i|tr [A-Z] [a-z]`;done

and it will be fixed. But afaik our policy is try to avoid any
alteration of game data. Besides these games were written with case
insensitivity in mind, so should we do.

For example, CDs have some files which get changed by game, like custom
levels, coloring and palette information. They're sometimes
capitalized, sometimes have mixed case. But engine always accesses them
with based on target name (exe base file name in original) and writes
them with same name too. On case-sensitive systems we end up with two
copies of same file. Sometimes I copy that data over to a Win32 box and
that makes additional problem to determine which file is correct one.

Eugene