[Scummvm-devel] FOTAQ CD version in Ogg format?

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Sun Sep 11 10:08:18 CEST 2005

Hi

I'm new to this list, so I hope this has not been discussed before.

I'm the current maintainer of scummvm and BASS/FOTAQ (both floppy
version) for SUSE. Some of our customers wanted to play the CD version
of FOTAQ with speech output and stumbled about the MP3 problem, since
we no longer ship scummvm with mad (MP3) support due to legal/license
issues. I tried to rebuild it, but ran into problems. I made a
bugreport and wrote a small README.SUSE about the results.

---

Q: When using the CD Version of "Flight of the Amazon Queen" (which
   includes speech output in MP3 format) I get the following warning:
   "Using MP3 compressed datafile, but MP3 support not compiled in!"
A: scummvm on SUSE is compiled without MAD (MP3) support. This is
   intentional and we can't change this. It should be possible to
   convert the FOTAQ data into ogg/flac instead of mp3 format
   with "queenrebuild" (shipped since SUSE 10.0). But this does
   *not* work with the FOTAQ version you can can currently download
   from the scummvm website.

     # /usr/games/queenrebuild --ogg queen.1c
     Unknown/unsupported FOTAQ version!

   SUSE reported this problem to the scummvm developer team. They
   told us that this tool only supports official versions (not yet
   converted data) of FOTAQ. Unfortunately the scummvm project
   suffers from restricted project file space and therefore cannot
   provide an ogg version of FOTAQ. We're working on a solution for
   the future. For now you need to download an official CD version
   of FOTAQ (not converted yet data) - FOTAQ has been freewared -
   and convert it to ogg format with "queenrebuild" yourself. Start
   your favorite search engine and use

     "Flight of the Amazon Queen" download

   as search string. The size should be much more than 35 MB.
   Otherwise you'll likely download an already MP3 converted
   version again, which won't help you.

"sev" told me to discuss this issue on scummvm-devel. So here we
are. :-)

Best regards,
Stefan

P.S.: It isn't that easy to find a full version for download. Up to
      now (tried about a dozen download links) all version has been
      compressed versions (about 32 MB zipped) and therefore handled
      as unsupported versions by "queenrebuild". So if anybody can tell
      me a valid download link, please let me know!

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany