[Scummvm-devel] Re: Possible new backend features

Neil Millstone neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 2 05:49:01 CEST 2006

Sev wrote:

>Great. But I also suggest you to follow SVN changes, or better do your
>development right in the tree and do svn update from time to time.
>Some behaviour you're talking about below was already changed in
>ScummVM.

I'm developing inside a copy of the current SVN build.  Haven't updated
for a few days but other than that I'm up to date.

>>I have added an extra
>>config dialog which which I can show using the 'Select' key on the
>>DS, which means I could remove the hacks to the options menus which I
>>had previously put in, this works ok, but perhaps isn't the most
>>logical place for it to be from the user's point of view.
>>

>Preferably this should be turned into generic way. Many backends need
>additional options and dialogs. I think we could create additional
>backend-specific tab and you provide a hook from your backend to call
>function which will process it.

That would be great.  Perhaps it would be good to be able to add more
than one tab.  So I could have touch-screen options, and d-pad options
tabs for example.

>>I've also used ConfMan.get("gameid") to find out the id of the
>>running game, removing my other hack to the main source tree.
>>

>Nice. We extensively use ConfMan in our backends, so that's IMHO a
>feasible solution.

That's good.

>>involve how the port handles the touch screen, so it's not really
>>applicable to other ports (except perhaps Symbian or other ports that
>>have touch screens, but I imaging they want to have their own way of
>>solving these issues).
>>

>Currently touch screen is present in SymbianOS, WinCE and Maemo
>(Nokia770) ports. DS in on the way. I'd say it is quite generic then.

I know these all have touch screens, but the way I use the d-pad to
switch between left and right mouse buttons may not be possible (or
liked) by the other ports becuase of button placement etc.  The same
goes for the other button tweaks I've done.

>>Another small thing is the case-sensitive file searching implemented
>>in Common::fopenNoCase().  It tries to open every file with a variety
>>of different modifications to how it is capitalised.
>>

>Recently it has been completely rewritten, and although it still tries
>to open files with different capitalization, that is a last-chance
>fallback. Now it scans directories only once at engine instance
>creation and caches all file names. That should definitely speed up
>things on slower FSes like in your case.

I haven't seen that, but I'll update today and have a look.

>>We have this feature request:
>>
>>  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1217640&group_id=37116&atid=418823
>>
>>This will be a really really useful feature. So, please, submit this
>>as a patch for further discussion. Please, pay attention to new
>>widgets in GUI theme.
>>

>I just added " What to do if I need to add new widgets to GUI" section
>
>   http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/GUI_Themes

Hmm.  When I added this in 0.7.1, none of the theme stuff existed, and
it was quite easy to add buttons.  It looks more complex now but I'll
give it a go.  I don't have a build set up for the PC version, so I can
only test it at 320x200.

- Neil