[Scummvm-devel] Reducing kMD5FileSizeLimit

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Apr 8 05:14:01 CEST 2006

Hi there,

I am toying with the thought of reducing kMD5FileSizeLimit (currently
1 MB) which is used in various engines to limit the amount of data
that is scanned to compute the fingerprint MD5 used by their
detectors. I am thinking about something between 50-120kb.

The implications/reasons:
* A lower value there means we can compute the MD5 fingerprint
quicker and with less memory
* This is in particular important for ports which are on the low end
regarding memory/CPU power.
* It requires us to recompute the MD5 for all games that have bigger
detect files. To my knowledge, the following are affected:
  - SCUMM games using a Macintosh bundle (which are sometimes a
couple hundred MB big)
  - COMI.LA0 is about 75kb
  - Lure files are ~600kb
  - Gob CD release
  - Some HE games use detect files that are about 100kb big
  - any other?

If nobody objects, I would like to see this changed pretty soon. I
can make the change, but if anybody else feel like doing it, you are
most welcome =).