[Scummvm-devel] Re: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm: [21824] scummvm/trunk/engines/sky

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Wed Apr 12 08:48:03 CEST 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:54:16 +1000
Jonathan Gray <jsg at goblin.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 04:31:01PM +0200, Max Horn wrote:

> > >Yes, it is.  If you think otherwise, you are probably looking at an
> > >outdated standard.  The current one is ISO/IEC 9899:1999.
> >
> > You are right, indeed, I was / am looking at the POSIX 97 spec, which
> > isn't agreeing with the ISO C99 spec in this regard (no surprise, as
> > it is based on C89)... The %t conversion character was introduced in
> > ISO C99 and is also in POSIX 2001/2004 (IEEE Std 1003.1-2001), which
> > is aligned with ISO C99.
> >
> > Unfortunately, we can't rely on anything from the ISO C99 specs,
> > since many of our targets system don't support it, and probably never
> > will (which is also why we can't use inttypes.h / stdint.h, amongst
> > other things) :-(
> >
> > >Not that it matters, since ScummVM is written in C++, not C.
> >
> > Even if it was written in C, unfortunately, it still wouldn't matter,
> > unless we decide to drop support for certain compilers / targets :-(
>
> This a libc thing, not a compiler thing.
> I'd be interested to hear of any platforms that don't support
> it, just out of general interest...

Me too. BTW nothing prevent defining the missing part yourself. IMHO that's
the best way to go: stick to the current standard and fix the broken systems
with your own headers/definitons (as opposed to always defining your own
stuff and/or using countless #ifdef in the code).
That way any complying (or close enouth) environement (ie the majority) just
work out of the box, broken or not up-to-date environements would need some
fixes anyway.

	Albeu