[Scummvm-devel] ATTN porters: updateScreen() OSystem method

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Tue Apr 18 02:30:05 CEST 2006

Eugene Sandulenko <sev at scummvm.org> writes:

>> Simply updating the screen at the end of pollEvent is probably _not_ a
>> good idea.
> To bring this topic back to life.
>
> It seems that at least several backends do not follow what is described
> in common/system.h, namely this:
>
>         /** Update the dirty areas of the screen. */
>         virtual void updateScreen() = 0;
>
> I.e. any call to updateScreen() condition-less updates the screen. What
> would be proper is to update it only when any of following OSystem
> calls were invoked:

This is a little beside the point made previously.  Does moving the
mouse make (an area of) the screen "dirty"?  If so the screen would be
redrawn every time anyway as long as you keep moving the mouse, and so
nothing would be solved.  If not, then updating the screen more often
would not give smoother mouse movement.

  // Marcus