[Scummvm-devel] ATTN porters: updateScreen() OSystem method

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Tue Apr 18 03:49:15 CEST 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:37:17 +0200
Marcus Comstedt <marcus at mc.pp.se> wrote:

> Yup.  This works, but requires that the engine (or someone else)
> actually calls updateScreen on a regular basis.  If it just draws
> something and calls updateScreen(), it can't rely on the stuff
> actually being displayed.  It needs to keep calling updateScreen()
> even if it has nothing more to draw.
Yes, this was highlighted by Fingolfin a month ago here on -devel, code
committed which lead to not smooth cursor drawing and finally was fixed
by eriktorbjorn last night. However, now we may call updateScreen() too
often, that's why I started this thread.

> Traditionally, this did not always happen, which is why we got "frozen
> cursor" bugs in some situations.  IIRC, this thread was about moving
> the responsibility for making "null updates" away from the engines so
> as to avoid having more bugs of this nature in the future.  Is this
> still the plan?
No. We call it pretty often now. It is responsibility of the frontend
to make sure updateScreen() was called when something important is
changed on the screen, mouse move included.

Eugene