[Scummvm-devel] kMD5FileSizeLimit = 1024 * 1024

Paul Gilbert paulfgilbert at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 03:38:12 CEST 2006

On 8/5/06, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

> PROPOSAL: The constant kMD5FileSizeLimit is currently set to
> 1024*1024 (=1MB) in four engines (SCUMM, Kyra, Lure, Gob). I propose
> that we reduce this to a lower number, something between 4 and 128kb,
> depending on the engine.
> In particular, for reasons recently discussed on this list, the SCUMM
> engine would be changed to use 128kb. I am not sure what would be
> suitable limits for the other engines.

As the developer for the Lure engine, I certainly don't have any
objections to reducing it - given that the .vga file format starts
with an offset table, I should be able to detect the different
language versions from even a kilobyte. On a technical note, since the
MD5 is only used for detection of language versions (as opposed to
validating the complete files are unchanged), is there any reason not
to keep the size limit as small as convenient? Maybe even less than a
kilobyte? Doing so would certainly help speed up directory scans.

Paul.