[Scummvm-devel] [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm: [23747]scummvm/trunk/tools

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Aug 26 10:15:41 CEST 2006

Am 26.08.2006 um 01:53 schrieb Travis Howell:

> From: "Marcus Comstedt" <marcus at mc.pp.se>
>>> Exactly why are file sizes been added? we already check the md5
>>> checksum,
>>> confirm an exact match.
>>
>> Because if the file size differs, we can conclude that the file
>> doesn't match without computing the md5 (or even opening the file),
>> thereby saving a lot of time?
>
> Well it is already planned to reduce the file size limit used for md5
> checksums to 128KB for the SCUMM engine.

Yeah, but 128kb > 0 bytes, isn't it?

> If the file size details are required to reduce file access, we
> might as
> well just update the md5 checksums with an even smaller file size
> limit.

Ah... but even 1kb is more than 0 bytes, isn't it?

> Since the md5 details have to be updated in either case.

Who says that? Did you notice all the "-1" entries indicating that
the value is unknown? Having the sizes is purely *optional*. In fact,
right now, we don't use them at all. In the future, we *could* use
them, if we want to (limited to those cases were they are known,
i.e. != -1). As it is, I am simply adding some data to a table. What
we do with it is optional.

Now, why do people on this list always get so upset over minor
details that cause *no harm* at all (adding additional and purely
*optional* information to a table, reducing the amount of data the
MD5 has to be computed of, etc.), while for the real meat, everybody
keep silent, I wonder?

As for the email addresses: They are encoded. If you believe the
encoding is not safe enough, we can improve it. But yes, I do think
that it's absolutely vital to keep that information in a central
place were all of us can access it.

Bye,