[Scummvm-devel] dists/debian maintanance

Grahame White grahame at regress.homelinux.org
Sat Feb 4 07:57:01 CET 2006

On Saturday 04 February 2006 11:43, Max Horn wrote:
> Am 04.02.2006 um 12:31 schrieb Grahame White:
> >> Generally, we try to avoid having Debian specific stuff in upstream,
> >> since it tends to get out of sync.  There are of course some cases
> >> when it might be useful, such as when there isn't any package in the
> >> Debian archives (if, for instance the upstream software does not
> >> meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines), or when the Debian
> >> maintainer
> >> is very inactive.  I hope none of those conditions should apply here
> >> though (I'll try to step down if I get too sloppy in my
> >> maintenance work
> >> on scummvm...), so my suggestion would be to just remove that
> >> directory,
> >> unless someone has any objections.
> >
> > Does this mean that in the future we wont be able to do 'make deb' to
> > create a package of scummvm?
>
> That would be implied, yes.
>
> Are there any strong arguments why one would want to do such a "make
> deb" build?

Strong arguments, not really. Although, personally, I prefer to do it this
way as I'm used to it now having used this method for almost as long as
I've used Scummvm. Having a package also makes upgrades pretty clean and
easy on the whole.

So basically if it stays then fine, if not I'll just have to adapt.

Grahame