[Scummvm-devel] Subversion: Some notes

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Feb 7 14:37:01 CET 2006

Hi folks,

some (IMO) important notes regarding the user of Subversion:

Checkouts
=========

First off, to get a checkout of the HEAD (or "trunk"), do this:

  svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scummvm/scummvm/trunk
scummvm

Note the extra "scummvm" compared to what https://sourceforge.net/
svn/?group_id=37116 says. This is due to the structure of our
repository. If you are not sure, simply replace "svnroot" by
"viewcvs.py" in the URL and put it into your favorite web browser to
verify what you'll get!

MIME types
==========

Each file can have an arbitrary number of "properties". For details,
read here: <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html>

Roughly, for each file we can set a MIME file type, and, in case of
text/plain files (like source code), one can specify a preferred line
ending style. In the case of e.g. *.cpp files, we certainly want all
of them to be text/plain, with "native" line endings.

For some other files, we might want to force CRLF lineendings (e.g.
some Windows project files might need that).
For binary files, or other files, custom MIME types should be set.

Because all of this is easy to forget, Subversion (at least the
command line client) allows you to specify filters in your personal
Subversion config file. E.g. in my ~/.subversion/config file, I have
these lines (among many others).

*.png = svn:mime-type=image/png

*.c = svn:mime-type=text/plain;svn:eol-style=native
*.cpp = svn:mime-type=text/plain;svn:eol-style=native
*.css = svn:mime-type=text/css;svn:eol-style=native
*.html = svn:mime-type=text/html;svn:eol-style=native
*.php = svn:mime-type=text/plain;svn:eol-style=native
*.sh = svn:mime-type=text/plain;svn:eol-style=native;svn:executable
*.txt = svn:mime-type=text/plain;svn:eol-style=native

(also note the svn:executable property, which ensures that my shell
scripts are executable).

There is an option on SF.net to enforce the MIME type; you aren't
allowed to commit/add files without a MIME type when that is
activated. I'd like to activate it eventually, but for now we are
missing the MIME type on most files, so until that is fixed, I won't.

Misc
====
We still need to remove all those .cvsignore files :-).