[Scummvm-devel] Small source restructuring

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Feb 13 12:03:09 CET 2006

Am 13.02.2006 um 15:01 schrieb Marcus Comstedt:

> Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:
>
>> [...] In the end,
>> all versions of "make" suck to a degree, and I'd really prefer to use
>> a modern build system instead, but that's less portable :-/
>

> Did you have any particular system in mind?  I've been trying to
> find a make replacement which fits all my needs, but still not
> located the grail...  SCons seems like a step in the right direction,
> but is still rather lacking in the autoconf department.  Also, I'm not
> really convinced that integrating the build system with a Python
> interpreter is a splendid idea.  Build (http://www.nongnu.org/build/)
> seems to be pretty similar to what I want, but only exists at a
> conceptual level AFAICS...

I don't think the "holy grail" exists, and in fact I am pretty sure
it'll never exist (ADA doesn't solve all computer language problems
either, after all :-).

But the following two articles are a nice overview over problems with
"make" and potential alternatives (I don't agree with everything said
there, but it's an interesting read anyway).

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1702/
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1715/

Anyway, we are now pretty much offtopic, so I guess we shouldn't
continue this particular debate here :-)