[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.8.1 release status

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Jan 25 08:39:02 CET 2006

Am 25.01.2006 um 17:32 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:

> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:13:15 +0100
> Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
>> Oh, and also it would be good if this time we had some relatively
>> current daily snapshots for all (or at least all major) platforms
>> available before the release to ensure that it actually is tested...
>> it's a bit late for this now, but I'll try to put a current 0.8.x
>> based OSX snapshot online. Last time some annoying platform specific
>> bugs slipped into the release binaries because we didn't do proper
>> testing on all platforms :-/
> Yes, that would be nice, however, 0.x.1 for us served as a bugfix
> release. Codebase didn't change significantly. Although there are
> expected 2 "new" ports, i.e. PalmOS and PS2, both of them already did
> this beta process with Release Candidates.

True, however, the problem in the case of the OS X port was not a bug
in the code base; it was a problem that made it incompatible with
older OS versions. The only way to find such bugs is to
  a) have a standardized (ideally, automated) build process, to
ensure reproducibility
  b) testing binaries on a variety of target systems briefly before
the release

In particular, (a) is important. This is why I added tools/dist-
scummvm.sh -- it automates building source tar balls. Granted, not a
hard task, but this way, things like uniform file names, etc. are
automatically ensured...

Anyway, expect update-version.pl in CVS soonish :-).