[Scummvm-devel] Subversion is here!

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Jan 27 05:29:01 CET 2006

On Fr, Januar 27, 2006 13:26, Philip Kendall wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:51:30AM +0100, Max Horn wrote:
>>
>> Again, this is plain simply wrong. Moving files around inside the
>> repository (with admin access) is *NOT* in the least a replacement
>> for versioned file renemas/moves. To the contrary, it *breaks* old
>> versions. If you rename a file in the CVS repos structure (i.e. the
>> file system on the server), then you renamed it in every revision.
>
> So, don't do that then.
>
> See eg <http://dotat.at/writing/cvs-guidelines.html#wizard>, point 6.4.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil (thinks Subversion is a good thing, but spreading FUD about CVS
>       to support it is a bad thing)

Thanks for clarifying this and pointing out this slightly less broken
alternative to 'renaming' files in CVS. Indeed, it's much better than just
moving the ,v files in that at least it (usually) doesn't break old
branches / tags. And it wasn't my intention to spread 'FUD' about CVS -- I
use it a lot, I have advertised it to many people in the past, it's a
zillion times better than not using a version control system at all, and I
will keep using it for a variety of tasks. And it still is full of
problems and holes, too;-)

Of course (and as you certainl realize) the improved 'rename hack' still
causes problems if e.g. a file with that name already existed (or in any
other scenerio were files that suddenly appear in checkouts which
shouldn't be there), and it still requires direct access to the CVS repos,
and still requires directly modifying it... And we aren't yet talking
about directories, for that matter... :-).