[Scummvm-devel] Detection hints in the Add Game browser

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Jul 29 23:15:40 CEST 2006

Am 29.07.2006 um 22:44 schrieb Torbjörn Andersson:

> Max Horn wrote:
>
>> the MD5 detection, which at least for SCUMM games currently still
>> scans 1 MB of file data. That could be reduced to 40-128k, though,
>> with minimal effort, as I outlined here previously.
>
> Well, there would - I assume - be the tedious re-collecting of MD5
> checksums for all known versions of the games. But if they can be
> uniquely identified (to the extent that they *need* to be uniquely
> identified, at least) by a smaller sample of data, I'm all for that.

The point is that only a tiny fraction of all SCUMM games have a
detect file which is bigger than 64kb.

Basically, on those games which have a single "big" data files (i.e.
certain Mac versions of LEC games, and possibly NES/C64/etc. dumps --
not sure about HE games) would require computation of new MD5
checksums if we go for 128 kb. With 64kb, I think only COMI would be
added to that list. With 32kb, there'd be some HE titles on the list,
too.

Bye,