[Scummvm-devel] Detection hints in the Add Game browser

Grahame White grahame at regress.homelinux.org
Sat Jul 29 23:51:28 CEST 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 22:37, Kostas Nakos wrote:
> Ori Avtalion wrote:
> > My solution is to have a message such as "This directory seems to
> > contain a SCUMM game" displayed when a candidate directory is entered.
> >
> > How is this done?
>
> This is though informative and helpful, so I support it. Obviously it
> would be better to minimize access, but from the wince perspective
> either a small md5 or a quick list check will run just fine.
>
> And while on the subject, Arisme has implemented an "automatic search
> for games" feature for the wince port. By selecting the parent directory
> where all the games are (typically) contained, all games are added in
> one strike. The code for this is not that much, and is contained at
> backends/wince/CELauncherDialog.cpp (automaticScanDirectory). Do you
> think this is useful for our non-ce users as well?

As a user I'd like to see this for non wince platforms. I keep my games
that can be played with scummvm in their own directories all under a
scummvm directory, like this:

~/games/scummvm/bs
~/games/scummvm/bs2
~/games/scummvm/mi
~/games/scummvm/mi2
~/games/scummvm/yet_another_game

So being able to point scummvm at ~/games/scummvm and have it search and
find all the games in there would be nice, especially if I buy a new
compalation pack and copy the game assets for multiple games at once into
the ~/games/scummvm/<foo> directories.

Grahame