[Scummvm-devel] Framebuffer

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 03:19:51 CEST 2006

Hi,

Sounds like a nice idea, but I doubt the Kyra engine will have too
much benefit form it, since it has some flaws with working with it's
front buffer. With some work there could be maybe a chance of getting
rid of the front buffer Kyra uses.

What I wanted to ask is, if it's planed to introduce similar methods
for the Overlay too, since this would make me able to get rid of one
buffer in the Theme classes.

> So, several emulators I know use the following approach (which, BTW, is also
> mentioned in patch #1574256). Namely, you keep a copy of the previous
> screen state. Then you modify your scaler to compare old and new
> state pixel-by-pixel, and only rescale those parts where the screen
> content actually changed.

What I remember from DOSBox it uses this (or a similar approach) and
it seems to work nicely, so maybe we could benefit from DOSBox here?

// Johannes