[Scummvm-devel] Version 0.9.1 and deleting save games

Neil Millstone neil at millstone.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 00:23:23 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I've just realised something.  Since my DS port was not integrated with
the SVN codebase when the 0-9-0 branch was created, there is obviously
none of my stuff in there.  If I wanted to release an 0.9.1 binary along
with the other porters, I'd have to backport all my changes from the
trunk to the branch.  This would be quite time-consuming.

So, if that's the way it has to be done, I'll probably skip 0.9.1 and
wait for 0.10.0.  I'll want to release an update in that time, so I'll
probably put out a version based off 0.10.0svn at some point, making
sure to point out it's a beta.  Is that acceptable to the rest of the
team?  Or is putting out interim versions frowned upon?

Just checking to make sure I'm not going to annoy people.

Max Horn wrote:

>Such a feature has been on our TODO list for a long time now.
>Essentially, what is needed is
>
>1) A method in SavefileManager that allows deleting savefiles (this
>is the lower level part of this feature)
>
>2) An API for engine plugins ("frontends") that allows:
>   * querying for a list of available saves (containing the titles,
>and ids that can be used for the "-x" command line option, i.e. to
>load a savestate)
>   * for deleting saves (the engine would in turn call the
>SavefileManager method as needed)
>   * and maybe also for loading saves, although we already handle
>that indirectly via config settings
>
>The API for querying a list of saves could of course include more
>meta data, like creation times, a progress percentage, a thumbnail,
>etc.. I'd not add this in the initial version, but would keep
>extensibility in mind (as always). Maybe by letting the engine return
>a list containing a list of hashes, with some standard keys ("title",
>"id"), and thus potential for future extensions. (As a side note, I
>have been thinking about modifying the "detect" engine API to do
>something similar).

Sorry for the late reply, I have a lot on my plate at the moment!

Your suggestion sound exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.
Can't wait to see the beginnings of this, I'll help out where I can.

- Neil