[Scummvm-devel] Flight of the Amazon Queen (Amiga)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Feb 27 13:14:47 CET 2007

On Di, Februar 27, 2007 13:07, Gregory Montoir wrote:
> Travis Howell wrote:
>> Does the freeware release of the Flight of the Amazon Queen include the
>> Amiga version too? could we add a download for the complete Amiga disk
>> version of the game?
>
> I don't know what is the status of the Amiga version, but slightly
> on-topic...
>
> Speaking of freeware release, the talkie version we are distributing
> has some sound glitches in the third part of the game. This is due to
> the fact that not all the sound files have the same header (you can
> refer to bug report #1599393 for more details).
>
> I fixed this in engine for uncompressed versions and updated the
> compress_queen tool, but I can't fix already invalid compressed wave
> data. So, I think we'll have to package a new version and replace
> the previous one with it.
>
> While I am at it, I would also repackage the freeware floppy version
> and rebuild the datafile. That way we could get rid of the static table
> in engines/queen/restables.cpp.
>
> I can prepare these 2 versions, but I wonder : should we wait the next
> ScummVM release for updating them ? Or can we do it right now ?

IMHO this depends on a single point, I think: Would the new versions of
the data file still be compatible with ScummVM 0.9.1 or not?

All in all, I am very reluctant to make "hard" cuts with things like
these; in particular, it wouldn't be good (IMHO) to release new data files
that don't work with the current stable release of ScummVM. But neither
would it be good to release a new ScummVM release that doesn't work with
the data files available to the public at that point.

So either the new datafiles should be compatible with 0.9.1, or the next
ScummVM release should be able to read both the old and new datafiles.
Else, we force our users to perform both updates at once.

It's essentially the same with the switch from MPEG2 to DXA: I simply
don't like releasing a new version of ScummVM which break the setup of
thousands of our users for no other reason than that we want to simplify
our code a bit. At the very least we should give them the chance to
migrate over time (as described above).

Bye,