[Scummvm-devel] Google Summer of Code

David Weinehall tao at debian.org
Wed Feb 28 19:22:57 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:40:27PM +0100, Torbjörn Andersson wrote:
> Max Horn wrote:
>
> > 1) If you think this is a good idea -- please state so, on the list.
> > Even if it's just a one-line mail "yeah, go for it".
>
> Just about anything that could attracts new developers seems like a good
> thing to me. Particularly for the side projects like ScummEX and Residual.
>
> Looking at the list of projects from earlier years is pretty
> intimidating, though. All those big and important projects. ScummVM
> seems so small and insignificant in comparision. :-)
>
> > Anybody interested in acting as a mentor, possibly restricted to a
> > specific task/project?
>
> Not me, I'm afraid.
>
> > * Any residual projects, maybe?
>
> Well, I've always said - probably boring people to tears in the process
> - that Residual really could use a faster/better software renderer. Last
> time I tried it, the TinyGL renderer was a bit sluggish on my 450 MHz
> P3. In addition, there were some glitches with textures and
> transparency, though perhaps they have been fixed since then?
>
> For reference, the original requirements for Grim Fandango were,
> supposedly, a "Pentium 133 or faster". (Granted, that software renderer
> seems a bit cruder than ours.) I think we currently update the entire
> screen each frame, which really shouldn't be necessary given that the
> backgrounds are mostly static.

Wouldn't it be of higher priority to actually make Grim Fandango
possible to complete, rather than optimizing it?  Premature optimization
is the rt f ll vl.

Or at least add savegame support, fix crashes, etc.

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao at debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //