[Scummvm-devel] Adding disk space required to wiki

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 4 08:10:14 CEST 2007

From: "Henry Bush" <sourceforge at spookypeanut.co.uk>
> I've got some spare time this week, so I thought I'd do some wiki
> stuff. I've been looking at:
> http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Documentation/TODO
> and one thing that I think would be really useful is the "Disk space
> requirements". I was thinking how this should be done, and I think it
> would be best to add an "Uncompressed size" row to the Game
> Description template:
> http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Template:GameDescription
> It should state which game version is being referred to, where
> multiple exist. It could consist of several lines for different game
> versions, but I guess there's *usually* a maximum of 2: floppy & CD.
>
> Does this sound like a sensible idea?
>
> I feel like it would be as useful (if not more so) to record the
> compressed size, but that can vary so wildly depending on quality
> settings that I wouldn't know where to start...

What exactly is the benefit of knowing the (uncompressed) disk space
required? almost all larger games offer compression of audio, to reduce the
disk space required, if less is available. And finding the exact disk space
required by a game, shouldn't be difficult, if the game is already owned.

How would you handle games which require compression of video? i.e. Broken
Sword 1/2 and The Feeble Files.

I don't think it is worth adding, considering the amount of releases
(disk/CD) and ports of most games. The exact disk space required for data
files of a game, could be different between each release, each port and even
each language of a game.

For example the versions of for Simon the Sorcerer 1, without language
specifics:
Acorn (Disk version)
Acorn (CD version)*
Amiga OCS (Disk version)