[Scummvm-devel] RFC: Flexible keymapping via new EVENT_ (post 0.10) (Serhiy Batyuk)

Kostas Nakos knakos at phys.uoa.gr
Thu Jul 12 18:23:39 CEST 2007

Hi,

I agree with the major part of the proposed changes as some backends
currently have to resort to hardcoded or structure-breaking methods to
map a limited number of actions to the keyboard.

What I'd like a little clarification on is this:

Serhiy Batyuk wrote:
> I propose that the action types are developed on a totally
> abstract layer, meaning that we simply have engine specific (quit,
> pause, save/load) and game specific actions (move left, right, jump,
> fight, etc.).

Are you proposing to:
1) Find out all the actions all engines require
2) Weed out the duplicates
3) Make an enumerated type out of this

or a more complex solution, where the event manager knows about no
actions (or perhaps only a few such as Pause and Quit), then when an
engine starts up it notifies the event manager that it can handle X
actions (together with descriptions etc)? Then all sorts of stuff
happens between the backends, the event manager and the engine.

The first is an offline, "precalculation" solution executed by
developers. The other is more of a "dynamic" approach. What are your
thoughts on this?

Best,
Kostas

PS. I get the feeling I've discussed this at some point but I can't
recall now (perhaps /deja-vu/ ? :-S)