[Scummvm-devel] Preliminary Tools GUI design

Kostas Nakos knakos at phys.uoa.gr
Mon Jul 23 13:05:20 CEST 2007

Hello,

lightcast at gmail.com wrote:
> If anyone has any suggestions about the layout or anything else just let
> me know.

At the risk of it being scrubbed and increasing the size of this
message, I attach a screenshot of the tools gui on linux gtk2, for
convenience (only the compression tab).

I will re-express here some comments made by Max on IRC, which I share
too. The main concern for this utility is the ease of use. Ideally, the
user would just point to the game directory and press a compress button
to get things done. On the functionality side, this means that there
will be some rudimentary way of auto detecting the engine type, based on
the file list and/or their extensions. This can be accomplished by
adding to compress tool popup an "auto-detect" entry. Also the 'Choose
Tool' should be changed to something more meaningful such as 'Engine
Type' and the popup values again to something more verbose ('SCUMM
engine' etc,etc.). Further on this, the Input/Output labels should be
something like 'Directory with game data' etc. The same applies to any
label/value may seem cryptic to an inexperienced user.

Max also suggests that the encoding options be hidden initially from
view (I think something like a drop-down section, retractable thingy),
and this also holds for the actual text output of the tool. The
compression options should be initialized to some set of "sane" values.

Also, as you know yourself, having a nice, hip and trendy progress bar
while compression is taking place is pretty much standard for this kind
of processing.

Well these are some initial comments. The team is free to comment on any
aspect of this tool.

Best,
Kostas