[Scummvm-devel] Simon the Sorcerer appears to leak all it's audio ram

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 6 03:14:57 CEST 2007

From: "Neil Millstone" <neil at millstone.demon.co.uk>
>> Another option could be the forced use of compressed speech file in DS
>> port,
>> adding a GUI error/warning if uncompressed speech files is detected.
>> Although I'm not sure if the DS ports can handle Simon the Sorcerer 1/2,
>> along with decoding compressed speech.
> Yes, MP3 audio is supported and works fine.  But many of the users will
> have trouble doing the compression.  Lame for Win32 can be hard to find
> and lots of people are scared or unable to using the command line.  So I
> don't think limiting the audio to MP3 only would be a good idea.
> Although a warning message would be ok.
>
> I have a fix ready to run which has the same behaviour as 0.9.1
> (skipping samples that don't fit into RAM).  Should I commit that?

No, that was a bad hack, which could cause side effects in any scene where
it was triggered.

I added alternative hack, to skip any scene where the largest speech segment
is used in Simon the Sorcerer 1, under the DS port for now. So the Simon the
Sorcerer 1/2 games, can still work in the DS port for ScummVM 0.10.0. An
additional check could be added, to skip the hack, if a compressed speech
file is detected too.

Extracting the indivual VOC/WAV files, shows all speech segments are much
smaller (405KB or less) in Simon the Sorcerer 2, so hopefully there aren't
any issues with that game on the DS port either.

If this problem can occur in other scenes (Not just that single scene) in
Simon the Sorcerer 1 or 2, under the DS port. Then I think a forced
compressed speech file is the only choice, to allow the games to work in DS
port of ScummVM 0.10.0.