[Scummvm-devel] Replacing LeChuck

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Jun 21 09:26:34 CEST 2007

Hi folks,

as you probably have noticed, LeChuck has been down for about two
weeks now. See also <http://logs.scummvm.org/> for his last words.
Unfortunately, no word from Ender yet, I tried several times in those
two weeks to contact him, but only got silence in return :-/

In the meantime we luckily have alternate IRC logs here: <http://
ircbrowse.com/channel/scummvm/> -- quite nice ones, too, I must say.

Still, having a nice bot is useful; for the FAQ mode, for the "last
seen" command, and of course for our own independent logging (as the
current situation nicely demonstrates).

There are hosting services specifically for EggDrop bots, costing
about 1-3 dollar per month. That would be an option; alternatively,
maybe one of us could host it (Knakos already made an offer in this
direction). Also, we of course need somebody who performs the initial
setup of the bot: Init it, configure the tools we need, add some
LeChuck persona (I still hope we can get the sources of the old
LeChuck from Ender, no matter how messy they are, so that we can
extract as much from his persona/text as possible). And then of
course the bot needs to be hardened (turn off lots of unneeded staff,
configuring it as securely as possible).
Finally, somebody needs to perform constant maintenance on the bot,
for situations like this. In fact I'd prefer if multiple people had
access to it, in case somebody is not available (can always happen:
illness, travel, busy with 'real life' etc.). E.g. the "bot admin",
plus at least Eugene and me should have the "keys" to the bot.

Any suggestions, volunteers, offers, etc.? Oh and no, I don't insist
on eggdrop, if you think some other kind of bot is better, feel free
to speak up, too (it just happens to be the most widespread and best
known bot).