[Scummvm-devel] Symbian, files and audio code

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Mar 2 13:27:19 CET 2007

Am 02.03.2007 um 13:16 schrieb Lars Persson:

> Hi!
>
> In regards when playing mp3/ogg sound tracks you are absolutely
> right, even though I had some problems with mp3/ogg compressed
> sounds before also, but this has been progressivly fixed.
Is this to be read as "playing mp3/ogg sound tracks currently does
not work on symbian" ? :-)

> As for the threading filehandling right now, I am creating a custom
> fxxxxx interface for open, close, read,seek, tell that also checks
> the thread that the file has been opened in, in the symbian ports
> specific namespace and configuration files, in order to avoid any
> cluttering of the common files.
I am not quite sure what you are proposing here -- implementing your
own versions of fopen, fread, fwrite, etc? And if you do so, I don't
quite understand how it helps to solve the problem, unless there are
after all OS APIs on Symbian that allow transferring file handles
from one thread to another?

Anyway, several ports already #define fopen etc. -- something I never
liked. I'd rather have custom File class implementations, and forbid
all use of the fopen/fread/... API in the rest of the code (this has
been on the TODO for a long time -- see also the last point at
<http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/TODO#Files>).

> I will see how I can solve this in the best way, without adding to
> much extra overhead for file accesses.

Note that you don't have to solve this alone, and neither with #ifdef
magic or by working hard to fake the appropriate low level interfaces
or stuff like that. :). A proper abstraction of the problem and a
generic solution would be preferable (I already made some suggestions
in my initial post as to how that could be achieved).

Bye,