[Scummvm-devel] Google Summer of Code

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Mar 4 23:56:09 CET 2007

Hi folks,

luckily the Wiki is back up today and we were able to resume working
on our SoC application. But we need you help! Please read this and
try to help at least in some way:

0) We are planning with coming Wednesday as deadline -- i.e. we want
to submit our publication that day. If we don't make it, we still
have several days left, but we really would prefer to be ready
beforehand.

1) We need people (esp. native speakers) to proof read the content of
<http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/OpenTasks>. And once it's done,
also for the other pages, esp. for the application. We want to make a
good impression after all.

2) We really could need more people acting as mentors. Right now we
have Eugene, Kostas and me. Eugene and me are willing to mentor up to
two students, more would be a problem given that we also have jobs
etc.. Now, of course we don't even know whether we get into the SoC
program, and even if, we might only be allocated <=6 students anyway
-- but it still would be nice to at least have some backup mentors
(plus, I'd not be unhappy if I only had one student to mentor :).
Requirements are: You must understand the ScummVM code sufficiently
(in particular you must be a coder :), be able to communicate with
the students and effectively guide them -- and you might have to
write a report on them at some point (yeah, annoying, I don't like it
either, but it's not *that* difficult -- and I am willing to mentor
the mentors on this part, so you are not alone *g*)

3) Porters -- if you have any ideas for projects/tasks, add them now,
or not. And of course everybody else is welcome to suggest further
suitable tasks, too.

In closing, let me mention that we are considering to post a news
items on our website & the forums, and maybe in other places, about
our SoC application. The idea is to attract students to our cause
(even though we do not even know whether we will make the cut).
Rationale: If we make it, more people will be aware of us and apply
to work for us. And if we don't make it, we still might be lucky
enough to get some people seriously working on some of the listed tasks.