[Scummvm-devel] Wiki Datafile Entries

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat May 26 19:34:50 CEST 2007

Am 24.05.2007 um 12:35 schrieb Matthew Hoops:

> Hi,
>
> Even after months of debate on the http://wiki.scummvm.org/
> index.php/Talk:Datafiles page, we still have not come to an
> agreement on how to proceed with data files on individual pages/one
> big page. We really need to square this out before the whole wiki
> has changed without the approval of some of the core devs.

Well, my personal view is that *my* main usage pattern, if I was a
new user, would be the following:
I want to use game XYZ with ScummVM. I want to know whether it is
supported and what I need to do. So I go to the Wiki page for that
game (possibly sent there via a direct link from our compatibility
page!). Then this page contains all the info I need -- including a
list of required data files, so that I can throw away all unnecessary
ones, should I desire to. Oh and it would also tell me (maybe via a
link) how to compress data files, known serious bugs and workarounds,
etc.

The single global "data files" page seems to be more useful for
"power users" who have dozens or hundreds of games and already know
lots and lots about ScummVM. But it's not a place a newbie would go to.

So, IMO there are two viable choices:
(1) Have the data files info directly on each game's wiki page
(2) Have a single data files page, but then on each game's page we
insert a small text and a link directly to the relevant section of
the data files page.

I have no real preference here, although the latter might make it
easier to accommodate both "power" and regular users while avoiding
sync issues between games' pages and the global "data files" page.