[Scummvm-devel] Makefiles: devices versus tools

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Mon Oct 1 00:35:09 CEST 2007

Robin Watts <Robin.Watts at wss.co.uk> writes:

>> Anyway, I'll remove "tools" from "all" for the time being and will
>> wait if there's an outcry about this or not ;-).
>
> That is a course a very neat solution, and one I'd adopted here
> temporarily to get stuff building - but it does seem a shame to lose
> the ability to build everything with a single command on the most
> popular platforms (windows, linux etc).

I expect most people running windows or linux simply just install
binary packages anyway.  (Well, not if they run gentoo, but I expect
they'd still get away with simply running "emerge"...)  Someone
building manually from source will need to at least run "configure"
first, so it won't be a single command anyway.  As long as the
procedure to build and install the tools is properly documented in
the README, the exact number of commands isn't a big deal.

The devrs who build scummvm often will of course want to save on their
typing, but I don't suppose anyone is actively developing the scummvm
main binary and the tools at the very same time.

  // Marcus