[Scummvm-devel] Makefiles: devices versus tools

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Sep 30 11:44:08 CEST 2007

Am 29.09.2007 um 19:56 schrieb Robin Watts:

> Hi all,
>
> A recent change to the make system has caused problems for WinCE (and
> I believe other device based) builds.
>
> As standard Makefile.common now tries to build various tools - which
> will fail when builds are setup for devies to which those tools have
> not been ported.
>
> I've got a suggested fix to this in the patch tracker as 1804795.
>
> Put simply, it introduces a "DEVICE_BUILD" symbol that makefiles such
> as the tools makefile recognise and avoid doing unsuitable builds.
>
> Any thoughts on this from Makefile maintainers or device porters?

I have various issues with this.

First off, I find the name "DEVICE_BUILD" highly irritating. At least
I didn't get what your point was initially. Shouldn't this be
"CROSSPLATFORM_BUILD" or so?

Secondly, I wonder if this isn't too much work for a simple problem
anyway: We could simply remove "tools" from the "all" target and let
devs invoke the "tools" target manually.

Bye,