[Scummvm-devel] Location of the engine-data files

Jordi Vilalta jvprat at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 23:36:09 CEST 2007

Hi,

with the release of ScummVM 0.10.0 it was recommended that the
packagers also distribute the engine-data files together with the
ScummVM package. Since those files are now considered part of the
application and not an add-on, this made me wonder whether their
current location in the subversion tree is optimal.

I'm proposing moving those files to scummvm/dists, where other data
files are standing (like pred.dic).

The main advantages I see are that the porters could build the full
package from just the source tarball (without needing to get extra
files from other sources), and that the version of the data files
would always be in sync with the version needed by the code (I
remember seeing troubles to find kyra.dat for 0.9 and 0.10...). I
think this would ease ways to make automated builds, and would help
daily builds come together with the compatible data files (I think
this will be useful once the testing of Lure of the Temptress starts,
for example).

On the other side, as sev said while having this discussion on
#scummvm, those files would raise the weight of the source
distribution. The current data files are almost 2Mb versus 31Mb of
source code of 0.10. Once compressed with .tar.bz2, the sizes come
down to 650Kb of data files vs 4,6Mb of the source distribution.

I'm not part of the team and I'm not involved on any part of the
process, so just consider it as a view from the outside. I hope
something I said makes sense ;)

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta