[Scummvm-devel] Augmented target name

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Mon Apr 7 07:56:12 CEST 2008

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 00:07:10 +0200
Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

> Are there any *strong* and well-founded opinions on this?
> Shall we augment target names or not?
> If yes, do you have any strong preference for which style to use?
> And please, state *reasons*, telling me that "yellow is much nicer
> than blue" doesn't help ;-),
Yes, we should use that wherever possible.

My vote is for dashes because that is how it is used in majority of our
engines. I.e. when we switch Kyra detection to augmented scheme, no
matter which, it could have influence on users in sense of renamed
savestates, so this is unavoidable. But I see no reason no need to
break that for all other engines which use AdvancedDetector.

To summarize:

  - Yes, use augmented names for kyra
  - Yes, Kyra will be "broken" by this change
  - No, it is BAD to break other engines, so stick to dashes

And talking about shift usage yesterday on IRC I just explained why it
came in the first place, not why this scheme stays as such (another
reason for dashes is that we historically did not use mnkoey1_2 for
clashed names, but monkey1-2).

Eugene