[Scummvm-devel] Lands of Lore

Paul Gilbert paulfgilbert at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 04:13:55 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

> And because it was mentioned on the tracker item: People keep quoting
> Simon's Puzzle Pack as a justification for adding arbitrary things.
> Well, my reply to that is: If you can support a full new game by
> adding only a few hundred lines of code in total (like it seems to be
> the case for the puzzle pack), fine by me. Somehow, though, i doubt
> that this will be the case with LoL, so the comparison is invalid :)
>

> Bye,
> Max

My bad there - I'd never actually looked at exactly how much code comprised
the changes to support the Puzzle Pack, so it seemed like a valid comparison
to make, since the Lands of Lore patch was using the Kyra engine as well.

On the topic of joining, my first thought is that your first question is an
important one (adding LOL support).. what are Lordhoto's plans? Does he
particularly intend/want to complete the entire Lands of Lore game, or is
the patch more in the nature of an experiment with the game's file formats
and/or sounds and animations? If he doesn't want to do the whole game, then
there's no immediate need to make any firm decisions on the subject.

In any case, I'd be interested too to hear what others think on the topic..
if someone really wants to implement a RPG using the ScummVM framework,
should it be allowed into the SVN, or would they be required, for example,
to do a fork and maybe start up a separate 'SCUMMVM-RPG' project. :). But of
course it might get complicated when you start considering 'adventures'
whose genre is harder to define exactly, like "Another World".. maybe they'd
need just a general SCUMMVM-NonAdventures project instead. :)

My 2 cents - I think clueless newbies are always going to ask for support
for particular games on the forums, and that fact shouldn't discourage
people from implementing a game they really love. There could, for example,
be a policy of allowing RPG engines into the SVN, but not enabling them in
the official releases, or utilising the evolving plugin capacity and
providing them as downloads in a separate download area that's clearly
marked as 'non-adventure games that ScummVM happens to support'. That could
provide a compromise for maintaining the 'adventure' focus of ScummVM, yet
still allowing a common repository source of game engines that use the
ScummVM framework.

In the case of a sister website & SVN for non-adventure games using ScummVM,
it would be difficult to keep the core of ScummVM up to date in both,
particularly if the sister project wants to take advantage of new GSOC
features (for example) in the future. But if the concensus is to keep the
main ScummVM website/SVN completely for only adventures only, I'm sure
no-one would mind someone forking ScummVM and starting up a separate
project.

Paul.