[Scummvm-devel] Little Big Adventure

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 18 15:16:14 CEST 2008

Filippos K wrote:
> This has been mentioned in the past as well, but I'd like to raise the
> question again: currently, the project supports far more games that the
> LucasArts SCUMM games that it originally supported. Perhaps it would be
> more fitting to rename it to a more appropriate name, e.g. "GameVM", as
> an example, and provide engines of 2D games to download as dynamic
> plugins - this way, users will be able to play the games they want.

Read the recent 'Lands of Lore' thread, which already discussed and
answered these issues.

> As a hypothetic scenario, there could be:
> - an "adventure game plugin pack" with the adventure games currently
> supported - and of course, the FreeSCI engine as well (integration of
> FreeSCI into ScummVM is currently being worked as a GSoC project)
> - an "RPG game plugin pack", with plugins for games like Elvira/Waxworks
> and Lands of Lore (when/if the engine is expanded to accomodate this).
> The exult project comes to mind, as well as the AESOP engine for EOB
> - a "puzzle game plugin pack", with plugins for games like The 7th
> Guest, Myst, Riven etc
> - an "arcade game plugin pack", with plugins for games like Simon's
> Puzzle Pack and the ones cyx wrote (check http://cyxdown.free.fr/)
> - an "isometric 3D game plugin pack" for Residual (which could include
> plugins for games like Grim Fandango, Little Big Adventure, Alone in the
> Dark etc)

And spitting code in that way would make no sense, for game engines,
where code is shared by games of various types. The source code would
just be more complicated, due to additional code been controlled via
compile time specific defines.