[Scummvm-devel] Kyrandia engine loading is slow on the DS

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sat Aug 23 01:03:29 CEST 2008

Am 22.08.2008 um 14:08 schrieb Bertrand Augereau:

[...]
> Additionnaly, I checked the new hash map put by Max on the tracker,
> and it looks that the DS might benefit from the decreased overhead
> in map lookups.
>
> Yet I didn't study the memory tradeoffs implied so it might not be
> that safe for this version on tight devices.

Memory tradeoff? The only one I am aware of is the fact that now
instead of a default size of 53, the default size is 8 entries
(allowing 2/3*8=5 active entries), which is enough for maybe 90% of
the hashmaps we use, but OTOH means that that more collisions may
occur. But overall, with the new hashmap, memory usage should be
decreased, and I'd hope speed should be improved, too, despite some
more lookup collisions; however, it is very easy to change the initial
table size from 8 to e.g. 32 or 64.