[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.13.0 plans

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Dec 21 18:09:20 CET 2008

Am 21.12.2008 um 12:50 schrieb Torbjörn Andersson:

> Rafał Rzepecki wrote:
>> At Sunday 21 December 2008 11:11 Hubert Maier wrote:
>>> Why not take a key for the menu, that is available on all
>>> keyboards but
>>> seldomly (never?) used in any game due to it's nature of
>>> "normally" being
>>> an "Office" key?
>>>
>>> Like, the TAB key or HELP, BREAK, PRTSCR ... although i don't know
>>> if these
>>> are available on handhelds, probably not...
>>>
>>> I'd go for TAB if i were asked
>>
>> Why, that's a great idea. I'd go for the 'pause' button personally
>> -- not used
>> at all, and it has a right name -- after all, GMM does pause,
>> doesn't it?
>>
>> (Tab isn't that great -- close to other keys and easy to hit by
>> mistake. And I
>> imagine it might well be used in some games ie. to switch modes.)
>
> I suppose the "Home" key might make sense, too, if it's not used for
> anything else by the engine. But are all these special keys available
> on, say, Macintosh keyboards?

On external Mac keyboards, yes. On Mac laptops: no. Same holds for
various non-mac laptops, too, I believe. On my MacBook Pro, I
basically have these keys (with some special keys left out, which vary
depending on the country your keyboard is localized to, and hence are
bad candidates for a generic hotkey, I think): ESC, F1-F12, eject
button; numbers, backspace, return, tab, caps lock, letetters, shift,
ctrl, alt, cmd, space, arrow keys.

In particular, no home, printscreen, page up/down, break, pause, ...

Every machine has tab, space and esc, I believe. But I also think some
games use it (well... I don't know examples right now, so maybe I am
wrong...). Of course one could try e.g. MODIFIER+Tab or MODIFIER+esc
or MODIFIER+space. Of course some of these are already taken by
OSes... Still, Shift-TAB might work. Or so... ?

Bye,