[Scummvm-devel] PORTERS: FS related OSystem API change + reminder about OSystem::getTimeAndDate()

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Feb 24 00:02:43 CET 2008

Hi folks, esp. hi all porters,

this mail is just meant to notify you of a rather small change
related to the FilesystemNode architecture I just commited as
revision XYZ to the trunk.

In particular, the FilesystemFactory::makeFSFactory() method from
backends/fs/fs-factory.cpp has been replaced (and the file removed)
with a new method OSystem::getFilesystemFactory(), which essentially
does the same job.

For now, there should be nothing you *have* to change. But the change
gives you all the opportunity to make use of the fact that
OSystem::getFilesystemFactory() is a virtual method. Hence, the port
specific FS code which I moved from backends/fs/fs-factory.cpp to
common/system.cpp, could now gradually be moved to port specific files.

The reason: I believe that on the long run, this will be more
convenient for porters. Oneplace less a porter has to know about --
ideally, all one should have to know about starting port should be
located in OSystem. That's my idea of it, at least :-)

In a somewhat related matter, a small reminder: All porters should
consider providing an implementation of OSystem::getTimeAndDate() --
even if it is *IDENTICAL* to the current default one. My goal is to
get rid of the default implementation completely, so that we ca
remove the references to time.h and localtime() from common/
system.cpp, which should help overall portability.