[Scummvm-devel] About announcing backend changes & build machine

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Jan 2 14:53:06 CET 2008

On Mi, Januar 2, 2008 14:29, Travis Howell wrote:
> From: "Max Horn" <max at quendi.de>
>>> -It relies on a different compiler enviroment, which we might not
>>> be able to
>>> keep as up to date.
>>
>> I don't understand that point... ? What would be "different" about
>> it? Different compared to what?
>
> To clarify this point, I meant if the compiler environment can't be kept
> updated, we could be limited to using older versions of libraries (i.e.
> FLAC, SDL) for the snapshots.

I see now, thanks for the clarification.

However, I don't think this is an issue. We would simply build all these
libraries from source for all the target environments. I already have a
semi-working script which downloads & unpacks SDL, MAD, Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC,
... and another script which runs "./configure PARAMS && make clean &&
make" for all of them, with appropriate PARAMS etc..

I use that to automate my own Mac OS X Intel & PowerPC crosscompilation
setups. My hope is that I can then turn this into a small .tar.gz which
every Mac user with XCode installed can download to auto-setup a full
cross compilation environment. This is easier for this special case
because Apple already provides the (cross) compilers & the (cross) SDKs.

It should be possible to adapt that for a wider ranger of cross compilers.
So provided the cross compilers are all setup correctly, this would make
it very easy to always (re)install the latest of all the required libs.

Note that this would however still require a manual run -- but I think
that's fine, those libs do not get updated *that* frequently (well SDL
just was bumped to 1.2.13, but the others are rather fixed these days).