[Scummvm-devel] PlayStation2 AudioCD

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Thu Jul 10 07:39:46 CEST 2008

;-)

I am in "write-combining mode", I cache all my mails and burst them
out all in one go.

Another idea, and probably the bigger show-stopper for possible
PlayStation2 scummvm users.

As an evangelist (of scummvm ps2, don't get me wrong!) I receive mails
from potential users that don't have a modded PlayStation2 and are
frustrated of not being able to at least try our toy.

I know that it possible to create a special kind of CD, like it was
an AudioCD instead of a data one, so that the PS2 will actually boot
an elf program out of it, this program could be scummvm, no ? ;-)

I cannot think we would be breaking any law by doing that, cause we
are not using any special code from Sony or teaching people how to
bypass protections, just making use of a feature already in the PS2.

We could push it a bit further and do this special AudioCD plus some
of the demo versions which are already linked from our website, and
then put this image out for download as one of the 0.12.0 items.

This would -hugely- boost PS2 scummvm usage, cause everybody who is
able to burn an AudioCD could actually download it and start playing
all the cool demos!

Let me know what do you think about this.

Ciao,
 -max