[Scummvm-devel] PlaysStation2 : duplicated files detection & checking

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Mon Jul 14 00:20:09 CEST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:45:01 +0200
"sunmax at libero.it" <sunmax at libero.it> wrote:
> 1) why after 'modern.zip' has been found ("mass:/scummvm/modern.zip")
>    ScummVM is still looking for all the GUI media parts (dialog_*) ?
Because you can override contents of your theme .zip file by putting
uncompressed files next to it. It is quite useful for developing the
themes

>    [on install]
>
> 2) once it found the game data "identifiers" (COMI.LA0, LANGUAGE.TAB),
>    it keeps looking for other ones (intro.stk, gob.lic, ...). Why?
It iterates over all known engines and all known games. What if, say,
you will have file name "data" in two different games just with
different md5s? This should process that.

>    [on run]
>
> 3) scummvm found "OPENING.SAN", but it's still looking for
>    "Opening.trs" (plus all .mp3 and .ogg variations). Why?
.trs file contains localization. Particularly The DIG keeps English
versions of the files, just overrides message strings with .trs file.

Also when you use compress_scumm_san tool, it will compress video and
put it inside of .san file, but the audio will be put separately
to .mp3/.ogg/.flac. There is, though, a way to tell right away whether
the file is compressed or not, however we are caching all available
files during addDefaultDirectory() calls on start up, so these
additional attempts to open non-existing files should not generate any
attempts to access your media.

> If somebody points me in the right direction I may end up clenaning
> this up, ocne I am done with other PlayStation2 tasks, and we may
> experience a free boost in startup, install and run times ;-)
Doublecheck File::open() that it looks into file hash in order to
determine whether file exists or not. It may happen that that part of
the code got lost during one of the refactorings.

Eugene